Dr. Janice Kwon obtained her medical degree and Obstetrics and Gynecology training at Queen’s University. She completed her fellowship training in Gynecologic Oncology in Toronto, followed by a Masters degree in Public Health from Harvard. She had a 2-year appointment at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas prior to her appointment at UBC.
Dr. Kwon is currently the Director of the Gynecologic Oncology fellowship training program and the co-Chair of the Resident Research Advisory Committee for the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at UBC. She is on the Executive of the Gynecology Disease Site group of the National Cancer Institute of Canada.
Dr. Kwon’s major areas of research interest are in health policy relating to gynecologic cancers as well as hereditary cancer syndromes. She has conducted population-based studies of endometrial and ovarian cancers and cost-effectiveness analyses of testing criteria and risk-reducing strategies for women at risk for genetic mutations. Her teaching commitments include undergraduate and postgraduate levels and the Family Practice Oncology Network.
1. Kwon JS, Pansegrau G, Nourmoussavi M, Hammond GL, Carey MS. “Long term consequences of extended endocrine strategies in premenopausal breast cancer”. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2017;15(8):1015-1021. DOI:10.6004/jnccn.2017.0136.
2. Scott, SA, van der Zanden C, Cai E, McGahan CE, Kwon JS. “The role of peritoneal cytology in low-intermediate risk endometrial cancer”. Gynecol Oncol 2017;145(2):262-268. DOI:10.1016/j.ygyno.2017.03.011
3. Samimi G, Bernardini MQ, Brody LC, Caga-anan CF, Campbell IG, Chenevix-Trench G, Couch FJ, Dean M, de Hull JA, Domchek SM, Drapkin R, Feigelson HS, Friedlander M, Gaudet MM, Harmsen MG, Hurley K, James PA, Kwon JS, Lacbawan F, Lheureux S, Mai PL, Mechanic LE, Minasian L, Myers EV, Robson ME, Ramus SJ, Rezende LF, Shaw PA, Slavin TP, Swisher EM, Takanaka M, Bowtell DD, Sherman ME. “Traceback: A proposed framework to increase identification and genetic counseling of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers through family-based outreach”. J Clin Oncol 2017;35(20):2329-2337. DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2016.70.3439
4. Nourmoussavi M, Pansegrau G, Popesku J, Hammond GL, Kwon JS, Carey MS. “Ovarian ablation for premenopausal breast cancer: A review of treatment considerations and the impact of premature menopause”. Cancer Treatment Reviews 2017;55:26-35
5. Talhouk A, McConechy MK, Leung S, Yang W, Lum A, Senze J, Boyd N, Pike J, Anglesio M, Kwon JS, Karnezis A, Huntsman DG, Gilks CB, McAlpine JN. “Confirmation of ProMisE: a simple genomics-based clinical classifier for endometrial cancer”. Cancer 2017;123(5):802-813
6. Reynaers EA, Jutzi L, Reynaers EA, Kwon JS Pijnenborg JM. “Improved outcome of high grade early stage endometrioid endometrial carcinoma with adjuvant chemotherapy and radiotherapy: comparison of two treatment strategies” Int J Gynecol Cancer 2017;27(3):467-472.
7. Kwon JS, Albert AYK, Gill S, Hutcheon JA. “Diabetic pharmacotherapy and endometrial cancer risk within a publicly funded health care system”. J Obstet Gynaecol Can 2017;39(1):42-48
8. Sherman M, Drapkin R, Horowitz NS, Crum CP, Friedman S, Kwon J, Levine DA, Shih IM, Shoupe D, Swisher EM, Walker J, Trabert B, Greene MH, Samimi G, Temkin SM, Minasian L. “Rationale for developing a specimen bank to study the pathogenesis of high-grade serous carcinoma: A review of the evidence”. Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 2016;9(9):713-20
9. Stamp JP, Gilks CB, Wesseling M, Eshragh S, Ceballos K, Anglesio MS, Kwon JS, Tone A, Huntsman DG, Carey MS. “BAF250a expression in atypical endometriosis and endometriosis-associated ovarian cancer”. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2016;26(5):825-32
10. Kwon JS, Pansegrau G, Nourmoussavi M, Hammond G, Carey MS. “Long-term consequences of ovarian ablation for premenopausal breast cancer”. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2016;157(3):565-73. PMID: 27236562
11. Lee JY, Kwon JS, Cohn D, Kim YH, Smith B, Kim TJ, Kim JW. “Treatment strategies for Stage IB cervical cancer: A cost-effectiveness analysis from Korean, Canadian and US perspectives”. Gynecol Oncol 2016;140(1):83-9
12. Hanley GE, McAlpine JN, Kwon JS, Mitchell G. “Opportunistic salpingectomy” Gynecol Oncol Res Prac 2015;2:5
13. Kwon JS. “Improving survival after endometrial cancer: The big picture”. J Gynecol Oncol 2015;26(3):227-231
14. Talhouk A, McConechy MK, Leung S, Li-Chang HH, Kwon JS, Melnyk N, Yang W, Senz J, Boyd N, Karnezis AN, Huntsman DG, Gilks CB, McAlpine JN. “A clinically applicable molecular-based classification for endometrial cancer”. Br J Cancer 2015;113:299-310
15. Kwon JS. “Ovarian cancer risk reduction through opportunistic salpingectomy”. J Gynecol Oncol 2015;26(2):83-6
16. Eghdami L, Kwon JS. “Peritoneal tuberculosis presenting as persistent ascites”. J Obstet Gynecol Can 2015;37(4):295
17. Kwon JS, McAlpine JN, Hanley GE, Finlayson S, Cohen T, Miller D, Gilks CB, Huntsman D. “Costs and benefits of opportunistic salpingectomy as an ovarian cancer prevention strategy”. Obstet Gynecol 2015;152(2):338-45.
18. Chui MH, Ryan P, Radigan J, Ferguson SE, Pollett A, Aronson M, Semotiuk K, Holter S, Sy K, Kwon JS, Soma A, Singh N, Gallinger S, Shaw P, Arseneau J, Foulkes WD, Gilks CB, Clarke BA. “The Histomorphology of Lynch-Syndrome-associated ovarian carcinomas: Toward a subtype-specific screening strategy”. Am J Surg Pathol 2014;38:1173-1181
19. Jutzi L, Russell D, Ho S, Kwon JS. “The role of palliative colorectal stents in gynecologic malignancies”. Gynecol Oncol 2014;134(3):566-9
20. Kwon JS, McGahan C, Dehaeck U, Santos J, Swenerton K, Carey MS. “The significance of combination chemotherapy in epithelial ovarian cancer”. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2014;24(2):226-32
21. Van der Putten LJM, Hoskins P, Tinker A, Lim A, Aquino-Parsons C, Kwon JS. “Population-based treatment and outcomes of Stage I uterine serous carcinoma”. Gynecol Oncol 2014;132:261-64
22. Schefter T, Winter K, Kwon JS, Stuhr K, Balaraj K, Yaremko BP, Small W Jr, Sause W, Gaffney D. “RTOG 0417: Efficacy of Bevacizumab in combination with definitive radiation therapy and cisplatin chemotherapy in untreated patients with locally advanced cervical carcinoma”. Int J Radiation Oncol Biol Phys 2014;88(1):101-105
23. Jutzi L, Hoskins P, Lim P, Aquino-Parsons C, Tinker A, Kwon JS. “The importance of adjuvant chemotherapy and pelvic radiotherapy in high-risk early stage endometrial carcinoma”. Gynecol Oncol 2013;131:581-585
24. Renaud MC, Le T, Bentley J, Farrell S, Fortier MP, Giede C, Kupets R, Plante M, Power P, Renaud MC, Schepansky A, Senikas V, Kwon J, Préfontaine M, Germain I, Pearcey R, D’Souza D, Senterman M, Hoskins P; SOGC-GOC-SCC Policy and Practice Guidelines Committee. “Epidemiology and investigations for suspected endometrial cancer”. J Obstet Gynaecol Can 2013 Apr;35(4):380-3
25. Kupets R, Le T, Bentley J, Farrell S, Fortier MP, Giede C, Kupets R, Plante M, Power P, Renaud MC, Schepansky A, Senikas V, Kwon J, Préfontaine M, Germain I, Pearcey R, D’Souza D, Senterman M, Hoskins P; SOGC-GOC-SCC Policy and Practice Guidelines Committee. “The role of adjuvant therapy in endometrial cancer”. J Obstet Gynaecol Can 2013 Apr;35(4):375-9
26. Giede C, Le T, Power P, Bentley J, Farrell S, Fortier MP, Giede C, Kupets R, Plante M, Power P, Renaud MC, Schepansky A, Senikas V, Kwon J, Préfontaine M, Germain I, Pearcey R, D’Souza D, Senterman M, Hoskins P; SOGC-GOC-SCC Policy and Practice Guideline Committee. “The role of surgery in endometrial cancer”. J Obstet Gynaecol Can 2013 Apr;35(4):370-4
27. O’Cathail SM, Shaboodien R, Mahmood S, Carty K, O’Sullivan P, Blagden S, Gabra H, Whear S, Kwon JS, Agarwal R. “Intravenous versus oral dexamethasone premedication in preventing paclitaxel infusion hypersensitivity reactions in gynecological malignancies”. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2013 Sep;23(7):1318-25
28. Lee M, Aquino-Parsons C, Lim P, Hoskins P, Kwon JS. “Preoperative radiotherapy for Stage II endometrial cancer: Insights into improving treatment and outcomes”. J Obstet Gynecol Can 2013;35(7):635-9
29. Krueger H, Kwon J, Sadownik L, Ogilvie G, Elwood Martin R. “What is the most appropriate age to start screening for cervical cancer?” BCMJ 2013;55(6):244-48.
30. Dehaeck U, McGahan C, Santos J, Carey M, Swenerton K, Kwon JS. “The impact of geographic variation in treatment on ovarian cancer outcomes”. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2013;23:282-87
31. Longpre MJ, Lange PH, Kwon JS, Black PC. “Penile carcinoma: Lessons learned from vulvar carcinoma”. J Urol 2013;189:17-24
32. Kwon JS, Tinker A, Pansegrau G, McAlpine J, Housty M, McCullum M, Gilks CB. “Prophylactic salpingectomy followed by delayed oophorectomy for BRCA mutation carriers”. Obstet Gynecol 2013;12:14-24
33. Chan A, Gilks B, Kwon J, Tinker A. “New insights into the pathogenesis of ovarian cancer: Time to rethink ovarian cancer screening”. Obstet Gynecol 2012 Oct;120(4):935-40
34. Tone AA, Salvador S, Finlayson SJ, Tinker AV, Kwon JS, Lee CH, Cohen T, Ehlen T, Lee M, Carey MS, Heywood M, Pike J, Hoskins PJ, Stuart GC, Swenerton KD, Huntsman DG, Gilks CB, Miller DM, McAlpine JN. “The role of the fallopian tube in ovarian cancer”. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol 2012 May;10(5):296-306
35. Brotto L, Erskine Y, Carey M, Ehlen T, Finlayson S, Heywood M, Kwon J, McAlpine J, Stuart G, Miller D. “A brief mindfulness-based cognitive behavioral intervention improves sexual functioning versus wait-list control in women treated for gynecologic cancer”. Gynecol Oncol 2012 May;125(2):320-5.
36. Schefter TE, Winter K, Kwon JS, Stuhr K, Rotman M, Yaremko BP, Small W Jr, Gaffney DK. “A Phase II Study of bevacizumab in combination with definitive radiotherapy and cisplatin chemotherapy in untreated patients with locally advanced cervical carcinoma: Preliminary results of RTOG 0417”. Int J Rad Onc Biol Phys 2012;15;83(4):1179-84
37. Grunfeld E, Moineddin R, Gunraj N, DelGuidice ME, Hodgson DC, Kwon JS, Elit L. “Cancer screening practices of cancer survivors: Population-based longitudinal study”. Can Fam Physician 2012 Sep;58(9):980-6
38. Ryan P, Mulligan AM, Aronson M, Ferguson SE, Bapat B, Semotiuk K, Holter S, Kwon J, Kalloger SE, Gilks CB, Gallinger S, Pollett A, Clarke BA. “Comparison of clinical schemas and morphologic features in predicting Lynch syndrome in mutation-positive patients with endometrial cancer encountered in the context of familial gastrointestinal cancer registries”. Cancer 2012 Feb 1;118(3):681-8
Randomized trial comparing radical hysterectomy with simple hysterectomy in early cervical cancer
PI: Ralph Meyer, Marie Plante. Co-investigators: Anthony Fyles, Peter Craighead, Lori Brotto, Michael Brundage, Sarah Ferguson, Nicole Mittman, Jocelyne Arseneau, Mostafa Atri, Dongsheng Tu, Janice Kwon, Gavin Stuart
Ovarian Cancer SPORE (Specialized Program of Research Excellence), NCI
Project 1: Early detection of epithelial ovarian cancer (substudy: Cost-effectiveness analysis of ROCA)
PI: Robert C. Bast, Jr, Karen Lu. Co-investigator: Janice Kwon
British Columbia Cancer Foundation
“Diabetic pharmacotherapy and endometrial cancer risk”
PI: Janice Kwon; co-investigators Arianne Albert, Sabrina Gill