During the summer of 2017, the Department Head and Administrative Director undertook a roadshow in preparation for the new strategic plan to complete a S.W.O.T analysis (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats) in person with various groups of OBGYN department members. One topic that came up frequently was burnout. As a result, the idea of a Physician Wellness Program for the department was initiated, where the department’s objective is to understand how ‘well’ physicians truly are, and how to provide them with tools to assist them with the daily professional tasks they are faced with.
The areas that we would like to understand further with regard to your needs are :
- Physician wellness
- Peer mentoring
- Skills development
In order to gain more insight around these topics, we will be conducting an online Physician Wellness Survey during the month of April 2018. In addition, focus groups about Physician Wellness will be conducted with each OBGYN division. These initiatives are currently taking place for physicians a part of the UBC department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology.
The UBC department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology welcomes Beata Chami. Beata joined our team in January 2018, and holds a one year position with our department as our Program Manager of Physician Wellness. Feel free to connect with Beata at email@example.com or give her a call at 604 875 2345 extension 5223.
One of the ways we’d like to encourage wellness across the department is by engaging and interacting with one another, either virtually or in person.
Physician Wellness is a broad term, and represents many meanings. Therefore, we have listed resources to fulfill a variety of Physician Wellness needs.
If you’re in search of learning more about wellness through evidence-based research and workshops, or want to simply hang with your colleagues’, check out our Helpful Links or Get Togethers page.
If you’re looking to build relationships with your peers across the department, take a look at Peer-to-Peer.
Or if you’d like to enhance your academic, leadership, or clinical skills, check out our Skills Development page.
“Life is not merely to be alive, but to be well”
There are a number of in-person workshops that our department would like to offer. Our goal is to further understand your workshop preferences via the Physician Wellness Survey - which is currently under development. Please help us understand your needs by completing this 15 minute survey.
No time to attend workshops? We've got you covered.
There are many helpful and easily accessible online resources available:
- The Physician Health Program (PHP) is a 24 hour support line for physicians in British Columbia. PHP provides support, referrals, and counselling regarding challenges such as: relationship stress, mental health, career & life transitions, substance use, concern for colleagues, occupational health, and financial issues. Give PHP a call: 1.800.663.6729
- 10 minutes of mindfulness a day = improved health, productivity, problem solving-skills, and team work. The UBC 30-day Mindfulness Challenge is free online mindfulness training offered to the UBC community where participants are taught mindfulness strategies based on evidence-based curricula. The program is designed to fit into busy schedules and only takes 10 minutes per day to complete!
- Lynda.com is an online resource that is the equivalent of YouTube for organizations! This online learning tool offers a wide variety of self-guided instructional videos, which are designed to provide staff and faculty with resources to assist with a number of areas, including updating software skills, learning new technology tools, and improving workplace business practices. As long as you have a CWL login/password, you will have access to Lynda! Check out UBC lynda.com
- The Happy MD is a website wholeheartedly dedicated to treating and preventing physician burnout. Dr. Dyke Drummond provides support for physicians via coaching, training, and consulting. The website contains many relevant articles, video blogs and other resources that can assist physicians when faced with burnout. Check out The Happy MD
- Sincerely X is a podcast series by TED and Audible. The stories are shared by anonymous authors, as some are too sensitive to be shared publicly. The 'Dr. Burnout' podcast is a story sincerely told by a physician who has faced adversity in their medical practice. Check out Sincerely X: Episode 1- Dr. Burnout
- In a TEDx talk, Dr. Brian Goldman discusses redefining the practice of medicine, and draws upon physician-specific stories of mistakes that have occurred while on the job. Check out Redefining the Practice of Medicine
- The Doctors' Are In is a clinical systems and transformation (CST) podcast that discusses survival tips for MDs. To subscribe to the podcast via iTunes, click here.
As there are already many events to address work-related topics, the UBC ObGyn department would like to host community-based events that promote a healthy work-life balance.