Dr. Katrina Bouchard is a tenure-track Assistant Professor in the UBC Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. She joined the Department after completing a SSHRC-funded PhD in clinical psychology at Queen’s University and a postdoctoral fellowship at Dalhousie University funded by the IWK Health Centre. She is a registered psychologist with expertise in sex and couple therapy. The overarching goal of Dr. Bouchard’s research program is to enhance the assessment and treatment of women’s sexual health concerns, with a focus on psychological and interpersonal factors. She adopts a multi-method approach to studying women’s sexual response and couples’ sexual well-being.
- Huberman, J. S., Bouchard, K. N., Wang, G. A., & Rosen, N. O. (2021). Conceptualizing sexual self-schemas: A review of different approaches and their implications for understanding women’s sexual function. Invited review for Current Sexual Health Reports, 13, 68-75. doi: 10.1007/s11930-021-00310-x
- Cappell, J., Bouchard, K. N., Chamberlain, S. M., Byers-Heinlein, A., Chivers, M. L., & Pukall, C. F. (2020). Is mode of delivery associated with sexual response? A pilot study of genital and subjective sexual arousal in primiparous women with vaginal or caesarean section births. The Journal of Sexual Medicine, 17, 257-272. doi: 10.1016/j.jsxm.2019.11.264
- Bouchard, K. N., Dawson, S. J., Shelley, A. J., & Pukall, C. F. (2019). Concurrent measurement of genital lubrication and blood flow during sexual arousal. Biological Psychology, 145, 159-166. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsycho.2019.05.003
- Bouchard, K. N., Moulden, H. M., & Lalumière, M. L. (2019). Assessing paraphilic interests among women who sexually offend. Invited review for Current Psychiatry Reports, 21, 121. doi: 10.1007/s11920-019-1112-2
- Bouchard, K. N., Stewart, J. G., Boyer, S. C., Holden, R. R., & Pukall, C. F. (2019). Sexuality and personality correlates of willingness to participate in sex research. Canadian Journal of Human Sexuality, 28, 267-37. doi: 10.3138/cjhs.2018-0028
- Boyer, S. C., Bouchard, K. N., & Pukall, C. F. (2019). Laser Doppler imaging as a measure of female sexual arousal: Further validation and methodological considerations. Biological Psychology, 148, 107741. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsycho/2019.107741
- Dawson, S. J., Huberman, J. S., Bouchard, K. N., McInnis, M. K., Pukall, C. F., & Chivers, M. L. (2019). Effects of individual difference variables, gender, and exclusivity of sexual attraction on volunteer bias in sexuality research. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 48, 2403-2417. doi: 10.1007/s10508-019-1451-4
- Huberman, J. S., McInnis, M. K., Bouchard, K. N., Dawson, S. J., Pukall, C. F., & Chivers, M. L. (2019). Exploring comfort levels and the role of compensation in sexual psychophysiology study participation. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 48, 2389-2402. doi: 10.1007/s10508-019-1458-x
- Bouchard, K. N., Chivers, M. L., & Pukall, C. F. (2017). Effects of genital response measurement device and stimulus characteristics on sexual concordance in women. Journal of Sex Research, 54, 1197-1208. doi: 10.1080/00224499.2016.1265641.
- Bouchard, K. N., Dawson, S. J., & Lalumière, M. L. (2017). The effects of sex drive and paraphilic interests on paraphilic behaviours in a nonclinical sample of men and women. Canadian Journal of Human Sexuality, 26, 97-111. doi: 10.3138/cjhs.262-a8.
- Bouchard, K. N., Timmers, A. D., & Chivers, M. L. (2015). Gender-specificity of genital response and self-reported sexual arousal in women endorsing facets of bisexuality. Journal of Bisexuality, 15, 180-203. doi: 10.1080/15299716.2015.1022924.
- Chivers, M. L., Bouchard, K. N., & Timmers, A. D. (2015). Straight but not narrow; Within-gender variation in the gender-specificity of women’s sexual response. PLoS ONE. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0142575.
- Timmers, A. D., Bouchard, K. N., & Chivers, M. L. (2015). Effects of gender and sexual activity cues on the sexual responses of women with multi-dimensionally defined bisexuality. Journal of Bisexuality, 15, 154-179. doi: 10.1080/15299716.2015.1023389.
- Dr. Harold B. Atlee Research Endowment Award, Dalhousie University.
Bouchard, K. N. (PI), Rosen, N. O. (co-PI), & Bergeron, S. (co-I).
Cognitive-behavioural couple therapy for female sexual interest/arousal disorder: A pilot study of feasibility, acceptability, and preliminary efficacy. 2021-2023.
- Project Grant, IWK Health Centre.
Rosen, N. O. (PI), Bouchard, K. N. (co-PI), & Bergeron, S. (co-I). A pilot study of cognitive-behavioural couple therapy for female sexual interest/arousal disorder. 2021-2023.
Among Dr. Bouchard’s active research projects is a multi-site pilot study of a novel cognitive-behavioural couple therapy for women with sexual interest/arousal disorder. This project is being conducted with Dr. Bouchard’s collaborators at Dalhousie University (Dr. Natalie Rosen) and Université de Montréal (Dr. Sophie Bergeron).