Advancing excellence in women’s health care, education, and research
Putting our patients first
Promoting education and mentorship
Pursuing discovery and innovation
Transferring knowledge into care
Fostering an ethical and respectful culture
We are all teachers; we are all learners
We are the nexus for the province of British Columbia advancing quality and innovation in care, education, and discovery in obstetrics and gynaecology.
The 2018-2021 OBGYN Strategic Plan will focus on FOUR key areas:
Goal 1: Satisfy the needs for Obstetrics and Gynaecology within the province
- Embed ethics as the foundation of all education programs.
- Inspire interest in obstetrics and gynaecology in undergraduate learners.
- Promote opportunities for faculty engagement in undergraduate education.
- Increase elective opportunities for fourth year medical students.
- Encourage faculty participation in the medical student Mentor Program.
- Collaborate with Family Medicine and Midwifery to improve women’s health care in BC.
Goal 2: Promote competency and life-long learning in Postgraduate and Graduate trainees and Faculty
- Implement a competency based curriculum.
- Encourage and facilitate life-long learning across the Department.
- Perform a needs assessment in order to support practitioners further skills to enhance health care for women
- Invest in, and promote, the surgical mentorship program.
- Encourage inter-Divisional research education initiatives for trainees, community partners and summer students.
Goal 3: Strengthen the Reproductive & Developmental Sciences (RDS) program to ensure sustainability
- Expand the RDS program to meet increased needs.
- Expand the RDS program to accommodate a pillar in epidemiology and genomics.
- Encourage inter-faculty involvement with the program to recruit new scientists.
Goal 1: Foster collaborative research
- Encourage further development of multi-disciplinary research clusters.
- Further integration of the CIHR pillars.
- Strengthen research engagement of clinical trainees.
- Develop capacity for population health research to promote health of all women in BC
- Encourage clinical faculty research through participation on graduate student committees.
- Support research in satellite hospitals through better networking and funding through small grants.
- Support the provincial “Ending Women’s Gynecologic Cancer” collaborative by identifying opportunities to contribute to the collaborative.
Goal 2: Promote Investigator Initiated Research
- Embed and extend patient-orientated research capacity.
- Encourage and develop capacity for precision medicine.
- Enhance industry partnerships, technology transfer and commercialization.
Goal 3: Embed capacity for knowledge synthesis and translation
- Appoint a spokesperson within each Division for knowledge dissemination activities through social media.
- Promote community engagement and respond to community needs.
- Facilitate creative application of knowledge for improved clinical and population health.
- Advocate for women’s health in all spheres.
Goal 1: Strengthen and sustain leadership within the Department
- Create a leadership development program.
- Engage current leaders with ongoing training, mentorship and networking.
- Develop and promote leadership opportunities for junior faculty.
Goal 2: Cultivate and foster productivity and wellness in our workforce
- Develop and promote a faculty wellness program.
- Formalise an orientation program for new faculty members and staff.
- Expand the current mentorship program to include all faculty and staff.
Goal 3: Foster, develop and strengthen our community through communication.
- Form a Departmental Communications working group to ensure effective communication.
- Invest in a secure, private platform for faculty members to communicate.
- Construct a model for virtual care to ensure subspecialist advice is available easily.
Goal 1: Maintain strong ties with current partners
- Form provincial OBGYN site lead group to discuss and resolve common challenges.
- Encourage inter-departmental as well as inter-faculty collaboration in education and research.
- Continue to cultivate relationships with: midwives, nurse practitioners, and family planning professionals.
- Foster relationships within the department to address common problems and brainstorm solutions.
- Continue to build relationship with our foundation partners (e.g., VCH/UBC Hospital foundation; BC Women’s Hospital Foundation, BCCA Foundation, UBC Development office).
Goal 2: Develop lasting relationships with new partners to work towards common goals
- Engage with our partners and population to reduce inequities in Indigenous health care and outcomes.
- Develop relationships with health promotion and screening programs.
- Identify partners to develop a “Healthy Aging” in obstetrics and gynaecology initiative.
- Identify relevant public and population health groups to partner with in obstetrics and gynaecology initiatives.
- Formalize relationship with SOGBC.
- Identify opportunities to reach out to and collaborate with stakeholders from the Ministry of Health.
Goal 3: Leverage aligned groups to enhance initiatives
- Continue to strengthen relationships with BC’s research institutes, including the Women’s Health Research Institute, to consolidate common efforts and resources.
- Identify supportive media partners and strengthen those relationships by obstetrics and gynaecology “Stories”.