Deborah M. Money
Division of Gynaecologic Specialties
Deborah M. Money, MD, FRCSC
Dr. Deborah Money is a Professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, an associate member in the Department of Medicine and the School of Population and Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, an Associate Member of the Department of Microbiology & Immunology, Faculty of Science, at the University of British Columbia. Following a BSc, and MD, she completed residency training in Obstetrics and Gynecology, at UBC and then did a Fellowship in Infectious Diseases at the University of Washington, becoming Canada’s first dual specialist in Obstetrics & Gynecology and Infectious Diseases.
She has had a series of leadership roles including, Associate Director STI/AIDS at the BCCDC (2000), Division Head of Maternal Fetal Medicine (2001-2006), Acting Head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the inaugural Executive Director of the Women’s Health Research Institute (WHRI), concurrently Vice-President, Research, for BC Women’s Hospital (2006-2016), Executive Vice-Dean, Faculty of Medicine, UBC, (2016-2020), ending this role to take on several COVID-19 related projects and responsibilities.
She is an active clinician scientist in Reproductive Infectious Diseases, based at the Women’s Health Research Institute, leading several large multicentered research projects on HPV and prevention of cervical cancer, the maternal/infant microbiome and HIV in women. She is the lead for CANCOVID-Preg, a Canada-wide surveillance program studying the outcome following COVID-19 for pregnant women and their infants; the lead for a pan-Canadian SARS-CoV-2 serosurveillance study using antenatal sera, and the lead for COVERED, a national study of the safety, effectiveness, and acceptability of the COVID-19 vaccines in pregnant and lactating persons.
She has been a successful teacher, mentor and research team builder and has published more than 280 peer reviewed publications and has received more than $28M in peer reviewed funding. She was the first non-US President of the Infectious Diseases Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology (IDSOG). She is currently a member of the federal COVID-19 Immunity Task Force. She has received many awards including the Faculty of Medicine Distinguished Achievement Award for Service to the University and Community (2021), a Lifetime Achievement Award from IDSOG (2019), a YWCA Woman of Distinction award (2013) and a Queen Elisabeth II, Diamond Jubilee Medal (2012).
Dr. Money’s areas of interest in teaching include:
Teaching at the undergraduate, postgraduate and CME level in areas of Infectious Diseases in Women, in particular HIV, Hepatitis C, Herpes in Pregnancy as well as the evaluation and management of vaginal infections.
Personalized medicine research program studying the vaginal microbiome utilizing metagenomic techniques.
HIV, Hepatitis C, Herpes, Infectious Diseases in Pregnancy.
Established the first fellowship in Infectious Diseases for Obstetrician/Gynecologists in Canada.
In addition to formal sessions of teaching, Dr. Money takes great pleasure in ‘bedside’ teaching and has had a resident or fellow with her in the majority of clinics she has conducted with the associated ‘bedside’ teaching. This has been approximately 9 hours per week for the past 7 years and prior to that when her clinical and on call load was 75%, she had residents/fellows learning with her in all aspects of her clinical work.
Current active research projects (CIHR funded):
1. HIV in women – CARMA studies of the impact of HIV and antiretrovirals on mitochondrial DNA function, telomere length and placental function. Surveillance studies of perinatal outcomes.
2. HPV – HPV vaccines studies, HPV screening in marginalized populations, HPV and HPV vaccine in immunocompromised women.
3. Women and their microbiome. Maternal Legacy study to determine the role of the maternal microbiome in establishing the infant gut microbiome.
185 Vanommen C, Murray M, Pick N, Alimenti A, Albert A, Piske M, van Schalkwyk J, Lima V, Maan E, Money D, Cote H, Exploring the live birth rates of women living with HIV in British Columbia, Canada, Accepted, PLOS ONE, February 6th 2019
186 Lee M,van Schalkwyk J, Ogilvie G, Mitchell-Foster S, McClymont E, Money D, “Cervical Cancer Screening in Immunocompromised Women”, Accepted Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada March 4th 2019
187 Saberi S, Kalloger SE, Zhu MMT, Sattha B, Maan EJ, van Schalkwyk J, Money DM, Côté HCF, CIHR Team in Cellular Aging and HIV Comorbidities in Women and Children (CARMA). Dynamics of leukocyte telomere length in pregnant women living with HIV, and HIV-negative pregnant women: A longitudinal observational study. PLoS One. 2019 Mar 6;14(3):e0212273. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0212273. eCollection 2019
188 Shokoohi M, Bauer GR, Kaida A, Logie CH Carter A, Lacombe-Duncan A, Loutfy M; CHIWOS Research Team. A Latent Class Analysis of the Social Determinants of Health Impacting Heavy Alcohol Consumption Among Women Living with HIV in Canada: The Canadian HIV Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health Cohort Study. AIDS Behav. 2019 Mar 12. doi: 10.1007/s10461-019-02454-3. [Epub ahead of print]
189 Carter A, Greene S, Money D, Sanchez M, Webster K, Nicholson V, Brotto LA, Hankins C, Kestler M, Pick N, Salters K, Proulx-Boucher K, O’Brien N, Patterson S, de Pokomandy A, Loutfy M, Kaida A; CHIWOS Research Team. Love with HIV: A Latent Class Analysis of Sexual and Intimate Relationship Experiences Among Women Living with HIV in Canada. Arch Sex Behav. 2019 Mar 19. doi: 10.1007/s10508-019-1418-5. [Epub ahead of print]
110. Krajden M, Cook D, Yu A, Chow R, Su Q, Mei W, McNeil S, Money D, Dionne M, Palefsky J, Karunakaran K, Kollmann T, Ogilvie G, Petric M, and Dobson S. Assessment of HPV 16 and HPV 18 antibody responses by pseudovirus neutralization, Merck cLIA and Merck total IgG LIA immunoassays in a reduced dosage quadrivalent HPV vaccine trial. Vaccine. 2014 Jan 23;32(5):624-30. PMID: 24055350
111. Mitchell SM, Sekikubo M, Biryabarema C, Byamugisha JJ, Steinberg M, Jeronimo J, Money DM, Christilaw J, Ogilvie GS. Factors associated with high-risk HPV positivity in a low-resource setting in sub-Saharan Africa. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014 Jan;210(1):81.e1-7. PMID: 23999419
112. Caddy S, Yudin MH, Hakim J, Money DM; Infectious Disease Committee, Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada. Best practices to minimize risk of infection with intrauterine device insertion. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2014 Mar;36(3):266-76. PMID: 24612897
113. Carter A, Eun Min J, Chau W, Lima VD, Kestler M, Pick N, Money D, Montaner JS, Hogg RS, Kaida A. Gender inequities in quality of care among HIV-positive individuals initiating antiretroviral treatment in British Columbia, Canada (2000-2010). PLoS One. 2014 Mar 18;9(3):e92334. PMID: 24642949
114. Giesbrecht CJ, Thornton AE, Hall-Patch C, Maan EJ, Cote HC, Money DM, Murray M, Pick N. Select neurocognitive impairment in HIV-infected women: associations with HIV viral load, hepatitis C virus, and depression, but not leukocyte telomere length. PLoS One. 2014 Mar 4;9(3):e89556. PMID: 24595021
115. Teng FF, Mitchell SM, Sekikubo M, Biryabarema C, Byamugisha JK, Steinberg M, Money DM, Ogilvie GS. Understanding the role of embarrassment in gynecological screening: a qualitative study from the ASPIRE cervical cancer screening project in Uganda. BMJ Open. 2014 April 11;4(4):e004783. PMID: 24727360
116. Zanet DL, Thorne A, Singer J, Maan EJ, Sattha B, Le Campion A, Soudeyns H, Pick N, Murray
M, Money DM, Cote HC; Association between short leukocyte telomere length and HIV infection in a cohort study: No evidence of a relationship with antiretroviral therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 2014 May;58(9):1322-32. PMID: 24457340
117. Kuo M, Money DM, Alvarez M, Buxton JA, Krajden M, Lester RT, Ogilvie G, Gilbert M. Test uptake and case detection of syphilis, HIV, and hepatitis C among women undergoing prenatal screening in British Columbia, 2007 to 2011. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2014 Jun;36(6):482-90. PMID: 24927185
118. Chaban B, Links MG, JayAprilakash TP, Wagner EC, Bourque DK, Lohn Z, Albert AY, van Schalkwyk J, Reid G, Hemmingsen SM, Hill JE, Money DM. Characterization of the vaginal microbiota of healthy Canadian women through the menstrual cycle. Microbiome. 2014 Jul 4;2:23. PMID: 25053998
119. Money D, Tulloch K, Boucoiran I, Caddy S; Infectious Diseases Committee, Yudin MH, Allen V, Bouchard C, Boucher M, Boucoiran I, Caddy S, Castillo E, Gottlieb H, Kennedy VL, Murphy K, Ogilvie G, Paquet C, van Schalkwyk J. Guidelines for the care of pregnant women living with HIV and interventions to reduce perinatal transmission: executive summary. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2014 Aug;36(8):721-51. PMID: 25222168
120. Carter A, Greene S, Nicholson V, O’Brien N, Sanchez M, Pokomandy AD, Loutfy M, Kaida A & Chiwos Research Team (Money DM). Breaking the Glass Ceiling: Increasing the Meaningful Involvement of Women Living with HIV/AIDS (MIWA) in the Design and the Delivery of HIV/AIDS Services. Health Care Women Int. 2014 Sep 25:1-29. PMID: 25256222
121. Skinner SR, Szarewski A, Romanowski B, Garland SM, Lazcano-Ponce E, SalmerÃ³n J, Del Rosario-Raymundo MR, Verheijen RH, Quek SC, da Silva DP, Kitchener H, Fong KL, Bouchard C, Money DM, Ilancheran A, Cruickshank ME, Levin MJ, Chatterjee A, Stapleton JT, Martens M, Quint W, David MP, Meric D, Hardt K, Descamps D, Geeraerts B, Struyf F, Dubin G; for the VIVIANE Study Group. Efficacy, safety, and immunogenicity of the human papillomavirus 16/18 AS04 adjuvanted vaccine in women older than 25 years: 4-year interim follow-up of the phase 3, double-blind, randomized controlled VIVIANE study. Lancet. 2014 Sep 1. pii: S0140-6736(14)60920-X. PMID: 25189358
122. Deborah Money Isabelle Boucoiran, Emily Wagner, Simon Dobson, Aaron Kennedy, Zoe Lohn, Mel Krajden, Eric M Yoshida and the HCV Perinatal Study group* Obstetrical and Neonatal Outcomes Among Women Infected With Hepatitis C and Their Infants in Canada. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada, 36(9), 785-794
123. van Schalkwyk J, Nourmoussavi M, Massey A, Gustafson R, Brodkin E, Petric M, Krajden M, Dobson S, Buxton J, Bigham M, Pick N, Schreiber R, Sherlock CH, Money D, Yoshida EM. Missed opportunities for prevention of perinatal transmission of hepatitis B: A retrospective cohort study. Can J Gastroenterology. 2014 Nov:28(10):525-528. PMID: 25390612
124. Money D; Infectious Disease Committee Members, Yudin MH, Allen V, Bouchard C, Boucher M, Boucoiran I, Caddy S, Castillo E, Kennedy VL, Money D, Murphy K, Ogilvie G, Paquet C, van Schalkwyk J. SOGC committee opinion on the management of a pregnant woman exposed to or infected with Ebola virus disease in Canada. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2015 Feb;37(2):182-91.
125. Joura EA, Giuliano AR, Iversen OE, Bouchard C, Mao C, Mehlsen J, Moreira ED Jr, Ngan Y, Petersen LK, Lazcano-Ponce E, Pitisuttithum P, Restrepo JA, Stuart G, Woelber L, Yang YC, Cuzick J, Garland SM, Huh W, Kjaer SK, Bautista OM, Chan IS, Chen J, Gesser R, Moeller E, Ritter M, Vuocolo S, Luxembourg A; Broad Spectrum HPV Vaccine Study. (DM Money)Collaborators (227)
A 9-valent HPV vaccine against infection and intraepithelial neoplasia in women
N Engl J Med. 2015 Feb 19;372(8):711-23. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1405044
126. van Schalkwyk J, Yudin M; Infectious Disease Committee, Yudin M, Allen V, Bouchard C, Boucher M, Boucoiran I, Caddy S, Castillo E, Kennedy V, Money DM, Murphy K, Ogilvie G, Paquet C, van Schalkwyk J; Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada. Vulvovaginitis: screening for and management of trichomoniasis, vulvovaginal candidiasis, and bacterial vaginosis. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2015 Mar;37(3):266-76.
127. Ogilvie G, Naus M, Money DM, Dobson SR, Miller D, Krajden M, van Niekerk DJ, Coldman AJ. Reduction in cervical dysplasia in young women in British Columbia after introduction of the HPV vaccine: An ecological analysis Int J Cancer. 2015 Mar 6. doi: 10.1002/ijc.29508.
128. Moses E, Pedersen HN, Mitchell SM, Sekikubo M, Mwesigwa M, Singer J, Biryabarema C, Byamugisha JK, Money DM, Ogilvie GS Uptake of community-based, self-collected HPV testing vs. visual inspection with acetic acid for cervical cancer screening in Kampala, Uganda: preliminary results of a randomised controlled trial. Tropical Medicine and International Health 2015 May 29. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12549.
129. Boucoiran I, Tulloch K, Pick N, Kakkar F, van Schalkwyk J, Money D, and Boucher M. A case of third trimester raltegravir initiation: Impact on maternal HIV-1 viral load and obstetrical outcomes. Can J Infect Dis Med Microbiol 2015; 26 (3): 145-150.
130. Money, D Ebola in Pregnancy: Have We Learned Any Lessons? J Obstet Gynaecol Can 2015;37(2):105-107
131. Salters KA, Cescon A, Zhang W, Ogilvie G, Murray MCM, Coldman A, Hamm J, Chiu CG, Montaner JSG, Wiseman SM, Money D, Pick N and Hogg RS Cancer incidence among HIV-positive women in British Columbia, Canada: Heightened risk of virus-related malignancies HIV Medicine (2015) DOI: 10.1111/hiv.12290
132. van Schalkwyk, J., Wong, F., Prestley, N., Dhillon, S., Albert, A., Collet, J., Thomas, E., Dewar, K., Hippman, C., Shaw, D., Giesbrecht, E., Money, D. Improving post-discharge surveillance of surgical site infection following cesarean section. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2015. 213(6). p896-897.
133. Money DM, Wagner EC, Maan EJ, Chaworth-Musters T, Gadawski I, van Schalkwyk JE, Forbes JC, Burdge D, Albert AYK, Lohn Z, Cote HCF, and The Oak Tree Clinic Research Group. Evidence of subclinical mtDNA alterations in HIV-infected pregnant women receiving combination antiretroviral therapy compared to HIV-negative pregnant women” PLoS One. 2015 Aug 6;10(8):e0135041. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0135041. eCollection 2015.
134. Albert AY, Chaban B, Wagner EC, Schellenberg JJ, Links MG, van Schalkwyk J, Reid G, Hemmingsen SM, Hill JE, Money D; VOGUE Research Group. A Study of the Vaginal Microbiome in Healthy Canadian Women Utilizing cpn60-Based Molecular Profiling Reveals Distinct Gardnerella Subgroup Community State Types. PLoS One. 2015 Aug 12;10(8):e0135620. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0135620. eCollection 2015.
135. Murray MC, O’Shaughnessy S, Smillie K, Van Borek N, Graham R, Maan EJ, van der Kop ML, Friesen K, Albert A, Levine S, Pick N, Ogilvie G, Money D, Lester R; WelTel BC1 Study Team. Health Care Providers’ Perspectives on a Weekly Text-Messaging Intervention to Engage HIV-Positive Persons in Care (WelTel BC1). AIDS Behav. 2015 Aug 22.
136. Chen I, Money D, Yong P, Williams C, Allaire C. An Evaluation Model for a Multidisciplinary Chronic Pelvic Pain Clinic: Application of the RE-AIM Framework. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Ottawa and the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Ottawa ON; School of Population and Public Health, University of British Columbia, Vancouver BC. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2015 Sep;37(9):804-9.
137. Kaida A, Carter A, de Pokomandy A, Patterson S, Proulx-Boucher K, Nohpal A, Sereda P, Colley G, O’Brien N, Thomas-Pavanel J, Beaver K, Nicholson VJ, Tharao W, Fernet M, Otis J, Hogg RS, Loutfy M; CHIWOS Research Team.(DM Money) Sexual inactivity and sexual satisfaction among women living with HIV in Canada in the context of growing social, legal and public health surveillance. J Int AIDS Soc. 2015 Dec 1;18(Suppl 5):20284. doi: 10.7448/IAS.18.6.20284. eCollection 2015.
138. Skinner SR, Wheeler CM, Romanowski B, Lazcano-Ponce E, Del Rosario-Raymundo MR, Vallejos C, Minkina G, Da Silva DP, McNeil S, Prilepskaya V, Gogotadze I, Money D, Garland SM, Romanenko V, Harper DM, Levin MJ, Chatterjee A, Geeraerts B, Struyf F, Dubin G, Bozonnat MC, Rosillon D, Baril L; VIVIANE study group. Progression of HPV infection to detectable cervical lesions or clearance in adult women: Analysis of the control arm of the VIVIANE study. Int J Cancer. 2015 Dec 19. doi: 10.1002/ijc.29971.
139. Sokalski KM, Chu J, Mai AY, Qiu AQ, Albert AY, Zanet DL, Cote HC, Maan EJ, Pick N, Prior JC, Money DM, Murray MC; CIHR team grant on HIV therapy and aging: CARMA. Endocrine abnormalities in HIV-infected women are associated with peak viral load – the Children and Women: AntiRetrovirals and Markers of Aging (CARMA) Cohort. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2016 Mar;84(3):452-62. doi: 10.1111/cen.12881. Epub 2015 Oct 20.
140. Mitchell SM, Pedersen HN, Sekikubo M, Biryabarema C, Byamugisha JK, Mwesigwa D, Steinberg M, Money DM, Ogilvie GS. Strategies for community education prior to clinical trial recruitment for a cervical cancer screening intervention in Uganda. Oncol. 2016 Apr 13;6:90. doi: 10.3389/fonc.2016.00090.
141. Wheeler CM, Skinner SR, Del Rosario-Raymundo MR, Garland SM, Chatterjee A, Lazcano-Ponce E, Salmer J, McNeil S, Stapleton JT, Bouchard C, Martens MG, Money DM, Quek SC, Romanowski B, Vallejos CS, Ter Harmsel B, Prilepskaya V, Fong KL, Kitchener H, Minkina G, Lim YK, Stoney T, Chakhtoura N, Cruickshank ME, Savicheva A, da Silva DP, Ferguson M, Molijn AC, Quint WG, Hardt K, Descamps D, Suryakiran PV, Karkada N, Geeraerts B, Dubin G, Struyf F; VIVIANE Study Group. Efficacy, safety, and immunogenicity of the human papillomavirus 16/18 AS04-adjuvanted vaccine in women older than 25 years: 7-year follow-up of the phase 3, double-blind, randomised controlled VIVIANE study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2016 Jun 28. pii: S1473-3099(16)30120-7. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(16)30120-7
142. Lazenby GB, Mmeje O, Fisher BM, Weinberg A, Aaron EK, Keating M, Luque AE, Willers D, Cohan D, Money D. Antiretroviral Resistance and Pregnancy Characteristics of Women with Perinatal and Nonperinatal HIV Infection. Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 2016;2016:4897501. doi: 10.1155/2016/4897501. Epub 2016 Jun 19.
143. Loutfy M, Greene S, Kennedy VL, Lewis J, Thomas-Pavanel J, Conway T, de Pokomandy A, O’Brien N, Carter A, Tharao W, Nicholson V, Beaver K, Dubuc D, Gahagan J, Proulx-Boucher K, Hogg RS, Kaida A; CHIWOS Research Team (DM Money). Establishing the Canadian HIV Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health Cohort Study (CHIWOS): Operationalizing Community-based Research in a Large National Quantitative Study. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2016 Aug 19;16(1):101. doi: 10.1186/s12874-016-0190-7.
144. Money, DM., Moses, E., Blitz, S.,Vandriel, S. M., Lipsky, N., Walmsley, S. L., Loutfy, M., Raboud, J., & the HPV in HIV Study Group. HIV viral suppression results in higher antibody responses in HIV-positive women vaccinated with the quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccine. Vaccine. 2016 Sep 14;34(40):4799-806. doi:10.1016j.vaccine.2016.08.016. Epub 2016 Aug 17
145. Bettinger JA, PhD, Greyson D, Money DM Attitudes and Beliefs of Pregnant Women and New Mothers regarding Influenza Vaccination in British Columbia. Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2016 Nov;38(11):1045-1052. doi: 10.1016/j.jogc.2016.08.004.
146. Paramel Jayaprakash T, Wagner EC, van Schalkwyk J, Albert AY, Hill JE, Money DM, and PPROM Study Group High Diversity and Variability in the Vaginal Microbiome in Women following Preterm Premature Rupture of Membranes (PPROM): A Prospective Cohort Study. PLOS ONE. 2016 Nov 18;11(11):e0166794. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0166794. eCollection 2016.
147. Mitchell-Foster S, Pederson H, Eng Stime E, Sekikubo M, Moses E, Mwesigwa D, Biryabarema C, Christilaw J, Bysmugisha J, Money D, Ogilvie G. (2017). Self-collection based HPV testing for cervical cancer screening among women living with HIV in Uganda: a descriptive analysis of knowledge, intentions to screen, and factors associated with HPV positivity. BMC Women’s Health. 17(2):4
148. Carter A, de Pokomandy A, Loutfy M, Ding E, Sereda P, Webster K, Nicholson V, Beaver K, Hogg RS, Kaida A; CHIWOS Research Team. (2017). Validating a self-report measure of HIV viral suppression: an analysis of linked questionnaire and clinical data from the Canadian HIV Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health Cohort Study. Reproductive Health Cohort Study.BMC Res Notes. 10(1): 138.
149. Ogilvie G, Sauvageau C, Dionne M, McNeil S, Krajden M, Money D, Dobson S. (2017). Immunogenicity of 2 vs 3 Doses of the Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus Vaccine in Girls Aged 9 to 13 Years After 60 Months. JAMA. 317(16): 1687-1688.
150. King E, Kinvig K, Steif J, Qiu A, Maan E, Albert A, Pick N, Alimenti A, Kestler M, Money D, Lester R,
Murray M. (2017). Mobile Text Messaging to Improve Medication Adherence and
Viral Load in a Vulnerable Canadian Population Living With Human
Immunodeficiency Virus: A Repeated Measures Study J Med Internet Res. 19 (6): e190
151. Crann S, Jenkins A, Money D, O’Doherty K. (2017). Women’s genital body work: Health, hygiene and beauty practices in the production of idealized female genitalia. Feminism & Psychology 0(0) 1-20
152. Salters K, Loutfy M, de Pokomandy A, Money D, Pick N, Wang L, Jabbari S, Carter A, Webster K, Conway T, Dubuc D, O’Brien N, Proulx-Boucher K, Kaida A; CHIWOS Research Team. (2017). Pregnancy incidence and intention after HIV diagnosis among women living with HIV in Canada PLoS One. 12(7)
153. Elwood C, Money D. (2017). Underlying maternal infection likely cause of study findings. CMAJ. 189(27): E918.
154. Saunders S, Tulloch K, Maan E, van Schalkwyk J, Money D. (2017). An Evaluation of Introduction of Rapid HIV Testing in a Perinatal Program. J Obstet Gynaecol Can.39(8): 668-675.
155. Freitas AC, Chaban B, Bocking A, Rocco M, Yang S, Hill JE, Money DM; VOGUE Research Group. (2017). The vaginal microbiome of pregnant women is less rich and diverse, with lower prevalence of Mollicutes, compared to non-pregnant women. Sci Rep.7(1): 9212.
156. Boucoiran I, Albert AYK, Tulloch K, Wagner EC, Pick N, van Schalkwyk J, Harrigan PR, Money D. (2017). Human Immunodeficiency Virus Viral Load Rebound Near Delivery in Previously Suppressed, Combination Antiretroviral Therapy-Treated Pregnant Women. Obstet Gynecol.130(3): 497-501.
157 Aline C. Freitas; Alan Bocking; Janet E. Hill; Deborah M. Money, Increased richness and diversity of the vaginal microbiota and spontaneous preterm birth, Microbiome, Sci Rep. 2017 Aug 23;7(1):9212. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-07790-9.
158. Mary Kestler, Melanie Murray, Deborah Money, Laura Sauve, Neora Pick, Nadia O’Brien, Saara Greene, Allison Carter, Johanna Lewis, Valerie Nicholson, Gladys Kwaramba, Brigitte Maynard, Elaina Kaufman, Nourane Ennabil, Neil Andersson, Mona Loutfy, Alexandra de Pokomandy, Angela Kaida, CHIWOS Research Team. Envisioning Women-Centered HIV Care: Perspectives from Women Living with HIV in Canada. Women’s Health Issues, Volume 27, Issue 6, November-December 2017, Pages 721-730
159 C Vanommen, E Lowe, E Yoshida, D Money, V Marquez, J van Schalkwk, ‘Assessing Maternity Care Providers’ Knowledge of the Management of Hepatitis B in Pregnancy; American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada. Volume 217, Issue 6, December 2017, Page 727 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2017.08.064
160. Wood J, Crann S, Cunningham S, Money D, O’Doherty, K. (2017). A cross-sectional survey of sex toy use, characteristics of sex toy use hygiene behaviours, and vulvovaginal health outcomes in Canada. The Canadian Journal of Human Sexuality. 26(3): 196-204.
161. Duff P, Money D, Ogilvie G, Ranville F, Kestler M, Braschel M, Pick N, Shannon K. Severe menopausal symptoms associated with reduced adherence to antiretroviral therapy among premenopausal women living with HIV in Metro Vancouver. Menopause: The Journal of the North American Menopause Society. Menopause: The Journal of The North American Menopause Society Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 000-000 DOI: 10.1097/GME.0000000000001040
162. J Ajaykumar A, Soudeyns H, Kakkar F, Brophy J, Bitnun A, Alimenti A, Albert A, Money DM, Cote HC, CIHR Team in Cellular Aging and HIV Comorbidities in Women and Children (CARMA) Leukocyte telomere length at birth and during the early life of HIV-exposed uninfected children following in utero exposure to antiretrovirals; J Infect Dis. 2018 Feb 14;217(5):710-720. doi: 10.1093/infdis/jix618
163. Brophy J, Bitnun A, Alimenti A, Lapointe N, Samson L, Read S, Karatzios C, Dobson S, Moses E, Blitz S, Lipsky N, Ogilvie O, Walmsley S, Raboud J, and Money D for the HPV in HIV Study Group. Immunogenicity and Safety of the Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus Vaccine in Girls Living with HIV. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal. June 2018 – Volume 37 – Issue 6 – p 595–597 doi: 10.1097/INF.0000000000001874
164 Money D, Steben M et al. (2017). SOGC Clinical Practice Guideline No. 207-Genital Herpes: Gynaecological Aspects. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada , Volume 39, Issue 7, e105 – e111
165 Money D, Steben M. (2017). SOGC Clinical Practice Guideline No. 208-Guidelines for the Management of Herpes Simplex Virus in Pregnancy. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada, Volume 39 , Issue 8 , e199 – e205
166 Yudin M, Money D, et al. (2017). SOGC Clinical Practice Guideline No. 211-Screening and Management of Bacterial Vaginosis in Pregnancy. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada , Volume 39 , Issue 8 J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2017 Aug;39(8):e184-e191. doi: 10.1016/j.jogc.2017.04.018.
167 Kestler M, Maan E, Cote H, Murray M, Money D, Ogilvie G, Pick N, Alimenti A, Sauve L. The Oak Tree Clinic: The envisioned model of care for women living with HIV in Canada.Women’s Health Issues. Women’s Health Issues. 2018 Mar – Apr;28(2):197-198. doi: 10.1016/j.whi.2017.11.007
168 Loutfy M, Kennedy VL, Poliquin V, Dzineku F, Dean NL, Margolese S, Symington A, Money DM, Hamilton S, Conway T, Khan S, Yudin No. 354-Canadian HIV Pregnancy Planning Guidelines, M.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2018 Jan;40(1):94-114. doi:0.1016/j.jogc.2017.06.033.
169 Logie CH, Lacombe-Duncan A, Wang Y, Kaida A, Conway T, Webster K, de Pokomandy A, Loutfy MR, Anema A, Becker D,Brotto L, Carter A, Cardinal C, Colley G, Ding E, Duddy J, Gataric N, Hogg RS, Hosward T, Jabbari S, Jones E, Kestler M, Langlois A, Lima V, Lloyd-Smith E, Medjuck M, Miller C, Money D, Nicholson V, Ogilvie G, Patterson S, Pick N, Roth E, Salters K, Sanchez M, Sas J, Sereda P, Summers M, Tom C, Wang L, Webster K, Zhang W, Abdul-Noor R, Angel J, Barry F, Bauer G, Beaver K, Benoit A, Bertozzi B, Borton S, Bourque T, Brophy J et all;. From HIV-Related Stigma to Antiretroviral Therapy Measures in the HIV Care Cascade for Women Living With HIV in Canada F.J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2018 Feb 1;77(2):144-153. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000001589.
170 Sara Crann, Shannon Cunningham (co-first author), Arianne Albert, Deborah Money, Kieran O’Doherty
Vaginal health and hygiene practices and product use in Canada: A national cross-sectional survey
BMC Womens Health. 2018 Mar 23;18(1):52. doi: 10.1186/s12905-018-0543-y.
171 Caroline Bouchard, Marc Boucher, Isabelle Boucoiran, Sheila Caddy, Eliana Castillo, V. Logan Kennedy, Deborah M. Money, Kellie Murphy, Gina Ogilvie, Caroline Paquet, Vanessa Poliquin, Julie van Schalkwyk, Mark H. Yudin, Special Contributor: Noni MacDonald. No. 357-Immunization in Pregnancy April 2018 (Replaces No. 236, November 2009) Obstet Gynaecol Can 2018 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jogc.2017.11.
172 Carter A, Greene S, Money D, Sanchez M, Webster K, Nicholson V, Brotto L, Hankins C, Kestler M, Pick N, Salters K, Proulx-Boucher K, O’Brien N, Patterson S, de Pokomandy A, Loufty, Kaida A, CHIWOS Research Team. Supporting the Sexual Rights of Women Living With HIV: A Critical Analysis of Sexual Satisfaction and Pleasure Across Five Relationship Types. J Sex Res. 2018 Apr 6:1-21. doi: 10.1080/00224499.2018.1440370.
173 Duff P, Kestler M, Chamboko P, Braschel M, Ogilvie G, Krusi A, Montaner J, Money D, Shannon K, SHAWNA Project. Realizing Women Living with HIV’s Reproductive Rights in the Era of ART: The Negative Impact of Non-consensual HIV Disclosure on Pregnancy Decisions Amongst Women Living with HIV in a Canadian Setting. AIDS Behav. 2018 Apr 7. doi: 10.1007/s10461-018-2111
174 Bitnun A, Lee T, Brophy J, Samson LM, Kakkar F, Vaudry W, Tan B, Money DM, Singer J, Sauvé LJ, Alimenti A; Canadian Perinatal HIV Surveillance Program. Missed opportunities for prevention of vertical HIV transmission in Canada, 1997-2016: a surveillance study.CMAJ Open. 2018 May 10;6(2):E202-E210. doi: 10.9778/cmajo.20180016
175 Genevieve Kerkerian, Mary Kestler, Allison Carter, Lu Wang, Nadine Kronfli, Paul Sereda, Eric Roth, M-J Milloy, Neora Pick, Deborah Money, Kath Webster, Robert S Hogg, Alexandra de Pokomandy Mona Loutfy, Angela Kaida, on behalf of the CHIWOS Research Team. Attrition across the HIV cascade of care among a diverse cohort of women living with HIV in Canada Running head: HIV cascade of care among women, J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2018 Oct 1;79(2):226-236. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000001775
176 Shirin Kalyan, Neora Pick, Alice Mai, Melanie C. M. Murray, Kristen Kidson , Jackson Chu , Arianne Y. K. Albert , Hélène C. F. Côté Evelyn J. Maan, Azita Goshtasebi , Deborah M. Money, Jerilynn C. PriorPremature Spinal Bone Loss in Women Living with HIV is Associated with Shorter Leukocyte Telomere Length, Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2018, 15, 1018; doi:10.3390/ijerph15051018
177 Freitas, Aline, Hill Janet, Bocking, Alan, Money Deborah, “Increased richness and diversity of the vaginal microbiota and spontaneous preterm birth” Microbiome. 2018 Jun 28;6(1):117. doi: 10.1186/s40168-018-0502-8
178 McClymont E, Lee M, Raboud J, Coutlee F, Walmsley S, Lipsky N, Loutfy M, Trottier S, Smaill F, Klein MB, Harris M, Cohen J, Yudin M, Wobeser W, Money D; CTN 236 HPV in HIV Study Team. “The Efficacy of the Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus Vaccine in Girls and Women Living with HIV”. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Jul 7. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciy575.
179 Halperin SA, Langley JM, Ye L, MacKinnon-Cameron D, Elsherif M, Allen VM, Smith B, Halperin BA, McNeil SA, Vanderkooi OG, Dwinnell S, Wilson RD, Tapiero B, Boucher M, Le Saux N, Gruslin A, Vaudry W, Chandra S, Dobson S, Money D. “A Randomized Controlled Trial of the Safety and Immunogenicity of Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Acellular Pertussis Vaccine Immunization During Pregnancy and Subsequent Infant Immune Response”. Tdap Vaccine During Pregnancy, Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Sep 14;67(7):1063-1071. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciy244.
180 Marie Jones, Marette Lee, Gina Ogilvie, Melanie C. M. Murray, Deborah Money, Rebecca Collins, Arianne Albert, Sheona Mitchell-Foster, Identifying Barriers to Treatment for Women With Cervical Dysplasia in Rural Northern British Columbia” J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2018 Nov;40(11):1401-1408. doi: 10.1016/j.jogc.2018.02.009. Epub 2018 Jun 29
181 Money D, Allen VM, No. 298 The Prevention of Early-Onset Neonatal Group B Streptococcal Disease, J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2018 Aug;40(8):e665-e674. doi: 10.1016/j.jogc.2018.05.032
182 Van Ommen C, Marquez V, Lowe C, Money D, Yoshida EM, van Schalkwyk J, Assessing Maternity Care Providers’ Knowledge of the Management of Hepatitis B in Pregnancy. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2018 Nov 22. pii: S1701-2163(18)30536-X. doi: 10.1016/j.jogc.2018.06.011. [Epub ahead of print]
183 Larouche A, Milton McSween KA, Calderon V, Fauteux-Daniel S, Boulais J, Ransy DG, Boucher M, Lamarre V, Lapointe N, Boucoiran I, Money DM, Krajden M, Le Campion A, Soudeyns H. Quasispecies Diversity Is a Major Risk Factor for Vertical Hepatitis C Virus Transmission. J Infect Dis. 2018 Oct 25. doi: 10.1093/infdis/jiy581. [Epub ahead of print]
184 Moses E, Pedersen H, Wagner EC, Sekikubo M, Money DM, Ogilvie G, Mitchell-Foster SM.
Understanding Men’s Perceptions of Human Papillomavirus and Cervical Cancer Screening in Kampala, Uganda. J Glob Oncol. 2018 Sep;(4):1-9. doi: 10.1200/JGO.17.00106.
Metagenomic Characterization of the Vaginal Microbiome. Emerging Team Grant.
PI: D. Money Co: S. Hemmingsen, J. Hill, A. Bocking, G. Reid
A phase III, double-blind, randomized, controlled study to evaluate the safety, immunogenicity and efficacy of GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals? HPV-16/18 L1/AS04 vaccine administered intramuscularly according to a three-dose schedule (0, 1, 6 month) in health
PI: D. Money Co: T. Ehlen, D. Miller, J. van Schalkwyk
A Study of an HPV VLP Vaccine in a Cohort of HIV Positive Girls and Women
PI: D. Money Co: Et al
March of Dimes Prematurity Research Initiative
Defining the role of vaginal microbial ecology in preterm birth.
PI: D. Money Co: J. Hill, S. Hemmingsen, J. van Schalkwyk, E. Castillo, S. Goh
A Randomized, International, Double-Blinded (With In-House Blinding), Controlled With GARDASIL?, Dose-Ranging, Tolerability, Immunogenicity, and Efficacy Study of a Second Generation Human Papillomavirus (HPV) L1 Virus-Like Particle (VLP) Vaccine Administ
PI: G. Stuart Co: D. Miller, D. Money et al
Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies
HIV – exposed but unifected (HEU) infants: an exploration of the causes of enhanced morbity and mortality.
PI: D Speert Co: D. Money
Canadian HIV Women and Reproductive Health Cohort Study (CHIWOS)
PI: M Loufty Co: D Money
The Annual Vaginal Microbiome Group Initiative (VOGUE) Workshop.
PI: D. Money, A. Bocking, S. Hemmingsen, et al Co: T. Dumonceaux, G. Gloor, M. Links, K. O?Doherty, P. Tang, J. van Schalkwyk, M. Yudin
Enhancing Canadian Reproductive Infectious Diseases Capacity.
PI: D. Money Co: J. van Schalkwyk, M. Yudin
Molecular Aging & HIV Co-Morbidities in Women & Children (Grant preparation).
PI: H. Cote Co: D. Money, S. A. Bitnun, N. Pick, D. H. Soudeyns
Post-doctoral fellowship award: Reproductive Trends among HIV Positive Women in BC?s HAART era: Examining the interplay between pregnancy, antiretroviral adherence, and HIV disease progression.
PI: A. Kaida Co: D. Money
Measuring Mitochondrial Aging, Application to HIV Infection and Therapy.
PI: H. Cote Co: R.P. Harringan, D. Money, N. Pick, A.F. Poon, H. Soudeyns.
Cellular Aging & HIV Co-Morbidities in Women & Children.
PI: H. Cote, H. Soudeyns, D. Money, A. Bitnun, N. Pick Co: J. Brophy, M. Murray, M. Smith, P. Janssen, F. Kakkar, J. Prior & M. Silverman.
Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics
A Phase II Randomized, Observer-Blind, Multi-Center, Controlled Study of a Trivalent Group B Streptococcus Vaccine in Healthy Pregnant Women
PI: D. Money Co: S. Dobson, J. van Schalkwyk
New Science, New Directions in HIV and Hepatitis C.
PI: Rogers TM. Co: Alexander ST, Carnochan TN, Corriveau A, Jones JE, Monteith KM, Shahin RM, Blanchard JF, Cooper CL, Gagnon M, Kirkland SA, Money DM, Montaner JS, Steben M, and Tan DH.
IWK Health Centre/Dalhousie University
Immunization of women with diphtheria and tetanus toxoids combined with acellular pertussis (Tdap) during the mid-third trimester of pregnancy: An evaluation of the potential for immunological protection for the neonate.
PI: Halperin S. Co: Halperin B, Allen V, Langley J, McNeil S, Tapiero B, Boucher M, LeSaux N, Gruslin A, Tran D, Yudin M, Vanderkooi O, Wison D, Vaudry W, Chandra S, Dobson S, Money D, Quach C, and Brown R.
Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
Hepatitis C virus infection in pregnancy: pathogenesis and mother-to-child transmission.
PI: Soudeyns H. Co: Boucher M, Lamarre V, Lapointe ND, and Money DM.