Stipend Amount and Duration
The required minimum yearly stipend for a full time RDS graduate student is $22,000. This stipend may come from an independent studentship award and/or from the Research Supervisor’s research grant. Admission to the RDS Program must include a written commitment from the Supervisor that guarantees that each student is supported to the recommended funding level and also identifies the source of funding.
The duration of the annual stipend is normally two years for a MSc student and four years for a PhD student. After the two-year MSc and four-year PhD point, continued funding is at the discretion of the Supervisor. Normally, the Supervisor will inform their student at least six months prior to the end-date of the student’s stipend.
Funding depends both on satisfactory academic and research progress, as determined by the Student’s Thesis Supervisory Committee, and on the Research Supervisor’s continued grant support. Termination of funding for other justifiable reasons must be approved by a majority of the RDS Admissions Committee and may also involve the Conflict Resolution Committee.
Graduate Student Initiative (GSI) Funding
UBC graduate programs receive funding, termed the Graduate Student Initiative (GSI) allocation, proportional to the number of students in the program. The RDS program uses its GSI allocation for student salary top-ups. All PhD students, and MSc students who achieve ≥ 85% average in their coursework, will receive salary top-ups. The money is paid in 3 installments, at the start of each term. Please see specifics for the distribution criteria below.
Reproductive and Developmental Sciences GSI Award Distribution Criteria
Awards and Scholarships
To search for UBC-administered scholarships and awards by eligibility, visit the G+PS Award Opportunities page: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/scholarships-awards-funding/award-opportunities
For Faculty of Medicine awards, visit: https://grad-postdoc.med.ubc.ca/current-students/awards/
All RDS students are expected to apply for scholarships for which you are eligible, as a condition of your receiving financial support in the form of your stipend.
- Canada Graduate Scholarships Masters (CGS-M) program (also referred to as Tri-Agency): https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/canada-graduate-scholarships-masters-cgs-m-program
- Affiliated Fellowships Masters Program: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/affiliated-fellowships-masters-program
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (PhD): https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/vanier-scholarship
- Canada Graduate Scholarships Doctoral (CGS-D) program (also referred to as Tri-Agency): https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/canada-graduate-scholarships-doctoral-cgs-d-program
- Affiliated Fellowships Doctoral Program: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/affiliated-fellowships-doctoral-program
- Four Year Doctoral Fellowship (4YF): https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/four-year-doctoral-fellowship-4yf
The 4YF recipient(s) are selected by the RDS Awards Committee. Information regarding this award will be communicated to incoming doctoral students.
- Spring Graduate Awards: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/spring-graduate-awards-competition
- Friedman Award for Scholars in Health: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/friedman-award-scholars-health
- BCCHR Graduate Studentships (for BCCHR-affiliated graduate students): https://www.bcchr.ca/about-us/training-opportunities/graduate-students
- WHRI Graduate and Fellowship Research Award in Women’s Health Grant (for WHRI-affiliated graduate students): http://whri.org/research-resources/research-funding/graduate-and-fellowship-research-award-in-womens-health-grant-competition/
- MSFHR Research Trainee Program: https://www.msfhr.org/our-work/activities/trainee-awards%20
Awards that are assigned automatically to eligible students:
- International Tuition Award: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/international-tuition-award
Assigned to international students registered full-time in research-oriented master’s and doctoral programs, to assist with tuition fees.
- President’s Academic Excellence Initiative PhD Award: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/presidents-academic-excellence-initiative-phd-award
Assigned to new and continuing PhD students, except those whose tuition is paid by an external sponsor. See website for current award values.
You might also be interested in:
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, DA Boyes Memorial Research Award: https://obgyn.ubc.ca/da-boyes-memorial-research-award/
- Awards for Indigenous students: https://students.ubc.ca/enrolment/finances/awards-scholarships-bursaries/awards-indigenous
- Awards for students with disabilities: https://students.ubc.ca/enrolment/finances/awards-scholarships-bursaries/awards-disabilities
Needs-based funding is managed by UBC Enrolment Services.
Enrolment Services, Finances: https://students.ubc.ca/enrolment/finances
Each student has an assigned enrolment services advisor. You can find their information on the UBC SSC, under the Personal Information tab (UBC Contacts).
The UBC Bursary Program is available for domestic students experiencing a gap between their costs of living and their available funds (including student loans). For more details: https://students.ubc.ca/enrolment/finances/awards-scholarships-bursaries/ubc-bursary-program
You may also be referred to the GSS Graduate Student Financial Aid fund (https://gss.ubc.ca/studentfunds/), but please note that in order to apply for these funds, you must be referred by a UBC office or department (ie. contact Enrolment Services first).